ATS is always looking for our next equine staff member..
Our horse are either:
- Leased to ATS
- Donated to ATS
While many horses are wonderful for our program, many are also not cut out for the job. Each horse has their own personality, likes and dislikes. Our horses must be desensitized to a variety of things...hula hoops, balls, barrels, poles, wearing costumes, loud noises & sudden movements around their heads and on their backs. We take these horses on a 60-90 trial. If they are not a good fit, they must be returned to you. Here are a few characteristics that we look for:
- be between 14.2 – 16 hands
- Up to date on all shots, coggins, de-worming & having their feet trimmed
- Should not have any vices that could be considered dangerous (no biting, kicking, bucking, rearing, shying, tripping)
- Be sound at W/T/C
- Be able to carry adult riders up to 250lbs.
- Be comfortable with a person walking at their head, and two people walking on either side
- Be able to tolerate a variety of riders with a variety of abilities. Horse should not be so sensitive to the leg that a tight leg, or swinging leg would irritate it.
- Be comfortable with the potential of a student screaming, throwing their hands in the air and bouncing in the saddle
What are we looking for right now?
Currently, we are full and have all of the equine staff that we can handle at the moment. But please keep checking back.